Temperatures are tipped to nudge 37C (98.6F) on Friday with no end in sight to what could be the longest heatwave in UK history. As the nation sizzles in near-record heat an African-Spanish plume will crank the thermostat up even higher, your health and safety on site during these warm days is crucial to us here at Mando Solutions.
There are some precautions you can take whilst operating on site:
- Stay hydrated – Try to take a drink a few times every hour to keep your body from becoming dehydrated. Try drinking either water or sports drinks as these are most likely to keep you hydrated.
- Avoid caffeine – Drinks with caffeine pull water from your body and so will speed up your dehydration process.
- Wear light fabrics – Thick materials can cause you to overheat. Under your PPE, try wearing cotton or linen.
- Take your breaks indoors – Get out of the sun for a little while whilst you relax.
- Wear sun cream – Protect your skin if it is going to be exposed to the harsh UV rays. An SPF of 30 should protect you for the most part, but this needs to be regularly reapplied for proper protection.
- Wear sunglasses – As much as your skin needs to be protected from UV rays, so do your eyes. This can also help reduce the glare from the sunlight that may impact your vision and your safety on site.
- Recognise the signs – Head stroke can manifest itself in many ways. If you start feeling dizzy, sick, nauseous or experience headaches, it’s time to take a break from the heat and sun.
Your health and safety on site is top priority for our clients and Mando Solutions. If you have any further queries regarding staying safe in this weather then please contact us or your site manager and we can help protect you from any incidents on site.